To mark International Fraud Awareness Week we wanted to shed some light on how important it is to be aware of scams during the festive shopping season.
With so many fraudsters continuously looking for new ways to gain access to your account or find a way to get you to disclose personal information. We want to make sure all our SWIRL Prepaid Mastercard customers know how they can do their very best to ensure their personal details stay safe and help avoid any unwanted disruption over the coming months.
Keep Your Card Secure:
- Treat your SWIRL Card like cash. Keep it in a secure place, and don’t share the card number or PIN with anyone you don’t trust.
- Avoid displaying your card information in public and be cautious when entering PINs at ATMs or point-of-sale terminals to prevent shoulder surfing.
Be Skeptical of Unsolicited Communications:
- Scammers often use phishing emails, calls, or messages to trick you into revealing sensitive information. Be cautious of unsolicited communications, especially those claiming to be from SWIRL Card.
Verify Requests for Information:
- If you receive a call or message requesting personal or financial information, independently, verify the legitimacy of the request. Contact our customer support team 01 6877 985 (not the one provided in the suspicious message) you can also email firstname.lastname@example.org or open a live web chat at www.swirlcard.com to confirm if the request is genuine.
Use Secure Websites:
- When making online purchases, ensure that the website is secure. Look for “https://” in the URL and check for a padlock symbol in the address bar. Avoid entering your card details on unsecured or suspicious websites.
Monitor Your Transactions:
- Regularly review your SWIRL Card transactions. If you notice any unauthorized or suspicious activity, please get in touch with our customer support team and they can investigate this further.
Update Software and Security Features:
- Keep your computer, smartphone and especially your SWIRL Card App and any other devices you use for online transactions up to date with the latest security updates. Install antivirus software and use firewalls to enhance your online security.
- Stay informed about common scams and fraud tactics. Awareness is a powerful defence as well as knowing what to look out for to help you avoid falling victim to them.
SWIRL Virtual Cards:
- Top-Up your SWIRL Virtual card via the SWIRL App and add an extra layer of security when completing online purchases more specifically for any payments you might not want to use your physical SWIRL Card for from websites you might not be familiar with. Virtual cards mask your main bank card details making them much safer and secure. Don’t forget with SWIRL Card you can only access what you top-up on the card.